As the weather is getting colder and colder, and since we are back from our "long days-short nights" trip to the southern hemisphere, I'm craving warm and hearty dishes. Squash adds the seasonal flavor I crave to this recipe, while the fresh veggies and broth sauce keep the pasta light and fresh.
The next time you make a pasta recipe, especially a casserole or one pot dish, consider using broth, cream or wine to cook your pasta instead of just water. The addition of Organic Sprouts Chicken Broth boosts the flavor of the pasta to be deliciously savory and rich.
Creamy Baked Pasta
This is the perfect make ahead dinner and will easily last you all week.
1lb hot italian sausage
2c butternut squash, skin removed and diced into ¼” cubes
10 asparagus stalks, cut into 1” pieces
2 garlic cloves, minced
½t red pepper flakes
1c sliced mushrooms
1 anchovy, minced (optional)
1c heavy cream
1c Sprouts Organic Chicken Broth
½ lemon, juiced
½c grated romano cheese
½c grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Line a baking dish with foil. Place diced butternut squash on dish and coat lightly with olive oil. Bake 15 minutes, or until just fork tender.
- While squash is baking, brown sausage in a heavy skillet over medium heat until slightly crispy. Set aside.
- When water is boiling, add pasta and cook for 5 minutes. Drain pasta and place back in warm pot.
- Add diced butternut squash, asparagus, chopped onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, mushrooms, and anchovy to pasta. Mix well and pour mixture into a baking dish.
- Pour heavy cream, broth, and lemon juice over pasta, give it a good stir and top with italian sausauge and cheese.
- Cover with foil or lid and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and broil until cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let sit, lightly covered for 2-3 minutes before serving.