ATTENTION!! FALL IS HERE! I left for Canada for 10 days and came back and BAM! Leaves are changing and it's time to dig out the comfy sweaters and boots. I love this time of year between the scorching heat of summer and the frigid depths of winter, when the wind kisses your face and the air feels crisp and clear. These days I'm perfectly happy biking to a coffee shop, or working from our kitchen table at home with the windows thrown wide, sunshine pouring in with morning light.
Before our trip, I teamed up with Heather from Honeycomb to put together a fall table with three of my favorite warm and filling fall recipes and their fall line of home goods. So read on and enjoy.
Bengal Spice Toddy Recipe
I'm not the biggest tea fan, but absolutely LOVE bengal spice. Its caffein free and is reminiscent of chai, with deep spice flavors. I always have it on hand, especially during the cooler months. Whenever the tingles of a sore throat begins to come on, this recipe helps soothe the throat or lets you settle into movie night.
- Boil water and steep tea like you normally would. After steeping, remove tea bag and add in 1t honey, a squirt of fresh lemon juice and an optional shot of your favorite whisky.
- Curl up in your favorite blanket and enjoy.
Savory Leek Galette Recipe
This combines everything I love: pie crust, veggies, bacon and carbs. It's one of my favorite recipes for a laid back afternoon.
Pie Crust Recipe of choice that Yields 2 crusts
4 leeks, quartered and thoroughly washed
6 Strips of Bacon, cut into 1/4" strips (lardons)
Salt & Pepper
White Cooking Wine
3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1/2 Lemon, Zested
1c diced Potatoes
1c Grated Gruyere
Crushed Red Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place washed leeks in a baking pan, cut side down. Drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper and white wine. Cover with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes longer.
- After you've removed the foil from the leeks, place bacon strips on foil lined baking sheet, and par bake for 5 minutes while the leeks continue to cook on another rack.
- Remove bacon and leeks from oven and let cool. When leeks are cool enough to handle chop into 1/2" pieces, removing any papery bits.
- In medium bowl, mix chopped leeks with garlic, lemon zest, diced potatoes, bacon, 1/4c gruyere, and crushed red pepper.
- On floured surface, roll out first pie dough into a 10" round. Place dough on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. It's easier to assemble the galette on the baking sheet than it is to transfer to a sheet after assembling.
- Generously top the round of dough with 1/2 of the filling, leaving 2.5-3 inches around the edge. Fold the dough over around the filling, leaving the middle exposed. Repeat with second pie crust. Top the middles with remaining 1/4c grated cheese.
- Whisk together 2 eggs & milk and using a pastry brush, brush the wash onto the crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Perfect Roasted Carrots Recipe
These are a great addition to any meal or salad. They're perfectly tender with great flavor.
1 Bunch of Carrots, leaves removed and saved
2 T Brown Sugar
1/2t Red Chilli Flakes
Zest from 1/2 lemon
Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In large bowl, toss carrots, brown sugar, red chili, lemon zest and oil until lightly coated.
- Lay carrots in single layer on foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes until tender. Serve immediately