This bright and colorful salad is the perfect accompaniment to any picnic or summer grill out. The citrus adds just a touch of sweet and the almonds supply a satisfying crunch. This salad keeps amazingly in the fridge for up to two days, so making it ahead is a breeze. This post was made in conjunction with Sprouts Farmers Market.
Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
⅓c fresh lemon juice
½c sprouts evoo
1T sprouts djon mustard
1T minced shallot
1t minced garlic
1t lemon zest
salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients into a small bowl.
- Whisk with fork until combined & set aside.
Citrus Kale Salad
The key to this recipe is the acid from the lemon juice in the dressing, which breaks down the tough fibers of the kale and brussel sprouts, mellowing their flavor and making them perfectly tender.
2 bunches of lacinato kale
1c brussel sprouts
⅓c fresh parmesan cheese, grated
3T slivered almonds
2 medium oranges
- Rinse kale & brussel sprouts thoroughly and let dry.
- Rib kale and slice width-wise into thin ribbons. Save the kale ribs to incorporate into your next roasted or sauteed vegetable dish. Slice brussel sprouts into thin strips. Place greens into a large bowl.
- Whisk dressing to re-combine and mix thoroughly into the greens. Set aside for 5-10 minutes while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut the ends off of each orange and slice away the peel. Cut the orange in half from top to bottom, and then cut width-wise into ¼ inch slices.
- Grate ⅓ cp parmesan cheese.
- Toss sliced oranges, parmesan, and almonds into salad. Serve with additional parmesan and almonds to top.