A few weeks ago, one of my best friends in the entire world came to visit us in Denver. How this girl has been woven into my life is a whole other story, but we spent an entire afternoon cooking a delicious meal for us and a few friends.
I had been thinking about my next Sprouts recipe, themed "back to school" and had been talking ideas over with Erin. We spent a while talking about all of the food nostalgia associated with a new school year: dunkaroos, gold fish, lunchables, pixi sticks, pizza rolls ... the list goes on and on. But there is one thing stands out above all others: PB&J. We thought, "why not make a dessert out of it?"
I wanted to make this back to school themed recipe easy enough to be an activity you can do with your own kids or nieces and nephews. Pretty sure I accomplished this because it is my easiest recipe to date and it is DE-LOI-SHUS.
PBJ Ice Cream Sammies
This twist on the original is great for a hot summer day. With just three ingredients, working this recipe into your back to school schedule is a piece of cake. Makes 4.
1 Package Sprouts Brand Organic Honey Vanilla Ice Cream
8 Tbsp. Sprouts Brand Raspberry Preserves (or flavor of preference)
8 Large Peanut Butter Cookies
- Remove top of ice cream container and carefully cut a vertical slit in the cardboard packaging at the top. Gently tear away the container, leaving ice cream in tact.
- Slice ice cream into rounds, placing each round an inch apart on plate and let chill for 30 minutes. It melts quickly so work fast!
- A few minutes before assembling cookies, place 8 cookies bottom side up on work surface and spoon out 1 Tbsp. Sprouts Raspberry Preserves on the bottom of each cookie.
- After Ice Cream rounds have chilled for 30 minutes, place each round on cookie, and top with additional cookie.
- Place assembled cookies on plate, cover loosely and freeze for 1-2 hours before serving.