Last month I challenged myself to reduce waste in our house hold by reducing my use of paper towels & attempting to grocery shop waste free. Part of that challenge was to finding ways to cook with zero waste, which meant recipes that didn't use any pre-packaged items. I decided to make a no-waste soup, which seemed like the easiest way to accomplish waste-free recipe. I had already made no-waste veggie broth, and needed to start using it up.
This black bean soup is incredibly easy with the Instant Pot, and you don't even have to soak the beans over night! Just give them a quick rinse and they're good to go!
Instant Pot No-Soak Black Bean Soup
1lb dried back beans, rinsed
5T Olive Oil
1 Red Onion, diced
1 Red bell pepper, diced
2-3 Jalepenos, seeds removed & minced
5 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Bay Leaves
1t Ground Cumin
2t Ground Oregano
1t Black Pepper
2T Sherry Vinegar
- Set Instant Pot to saute (high heat) and let warm up for 4-5 minutes. Add 2T Olive Oil & heat until shimmering.
- Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaf, cumin & oregano and saute until onions & peppers have begun to soften.
- Add beans, black pepper, salt, vinegar, water and remaining 3T of olive oil.
- Secure & lock Instant Pot lid, make sure valve is set to sealing and set instant pot to "Bean/Chili" setting for 30 minutes.
- When done cooking, click cancel and quick release the pressure.
- Blend soup with immersion blender until desired consistency is achieved.t